Becoming a Web Pro Black Belt – Mastering IIS and Other Essential Web Technologies
There is a shortage of end to end practical training for the web pro available today. This 52-week series targeted at the current or up-and-coming web pro is meant to address this need.
Scott Forsyth releases a video each week on a different aspect of this arena. Scott has a unique background that makes this such a valuable series. He has over a decade of specific hands on expertise in hosting both highly available and highly scalable web farms, and working through the intrinsic details of shared hosting.
Over the years Scott worked has worked tirelessly day and night, often burning the midnight oil while troubleshooting difficult situations, or architecting the best end-to-end configuration for upcoming projects.
His passion comes through in each video, while his years of real world expertise bring experience that will strengthen newbies and professionals alike.
Follow along with this series to learn best practices, technical processes, tools of the trade, and occasional stories from working in the trenches of a fast paced hosting environment.
Topics include URL Rewrite, security, web farms, various tips and tricks, deep dives on the IIS schema, debugging tools, troubleshooting tips, and more.
We hope that you will not only tune in on a weekly basis, but that you’ll bookmark and revisit lessons when you need them most.
- Week 1 Ping and Tracert walkthroughs Week 1
- Week 2 Understanding DNS Zone Records–Web Pro Series Week 2
- Week 3 Nslookup, the Ultimate DNS Troubleshooting Tool Week 3
- Week 4 Three Tricks for Capturing Command Line Output Week 4
- Week 5 The Four IIS Binding Decision Points Week 5
- Week 6 The SSL Bindings Issue Week 6
- Week 7 Adding Host Headers for SSL sites in IIS 7 and 6 Week 7
- Week 8 An Intro to URL Rewrite + Adding www to Domain Name Week 8
- Week 9 Understanding URL Rewrite - Part 2 Week 9
- Week 10 Understanding Regular Expressions Week 10
- Week 11 Understanding Regular Expressions (focus on URL Rewrite) Week 11
- Week 12 AppDomain - What it is and Why it's Important Week 12
- Week 13 SiteServerDetails - Web Farm Node Information Week 13
- Week 14 URL Rewrite Outbound Rules-Week 14
- Week 15 IIS Virtual Directory vs. Application-Week 15
- Week 16 IIS's Overlapping App Pools Week 16
- Week 17 IIS 7.x's Configuration System Week 17
- Week 18 Hacking IIS's AppHost Week 18
- Week 19 Mastering IIS - Understanding the Schema Week 19
- Week 20 ProcessMon - Power Tool for the Windows Admin Week 20
- Week 21 IIS 7.0/7.5’s Hidden Tool. Run-time page request performance data Week 21
- Week 22 IIS’s ApplicationPoolIdentity Made Easy. Week 22
- Week 23 Securing IIS. Thwarting the Hacker. Week 23
- Week 24 Why You Shouldn’t Use Web Gardens in IIS. Week 24
- Week 25 Using IP Restrictions with URL Rewrite. Week 25
- Week 26 How to Setup an Active Directory Domain Week 26
- Week 27 DFS-R for Web Server Replication Week 27
- Week 28 IIS Shared Configuration Week 28
- Week 29 IIS 7.x Shared Configuration - Advanced Tips and Tricks Week 29
- Week 30 Shared Config - Staggered Install Week 30
- Week 31 Introduction to Application Request Routing Week 31
- Week 32 Bindings and Rules for Application Request Routing (ARR) - Week 32
- Week 33 ARR Helper Week 33
- Week 34 ARR Health Checks Week 34
- Week 35 Three ARR Back End Binding Options Week 35
- Week 36 ARR Binding Trick Week 36
- Week 37 ARR Tricks to Share with Web Server Week 37
- Week 38 High Availability for ARR Week 38
- Week 39 Introduction to Log Parser Week 39
- Week 40 Resolving Legit Blocked Ports Through Windows Week 40
- Week 41 Line numbering in Notepad Week 41
- Week 42 Change Password vs. Reset Password Week 42
- Week 43 IIS 7.x Classic and Integrated Pipeline Modes Week 43
- Week 44 IIS FTP Basics Week 44
- Week 45 IIS FTP and IIS Manager Users Week 45
- Week 46 IIS FTP User Isolation Week 46